[Zope] [announce] Local File System product

Jonothan Farr jfarr@real.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:12:55 -0700

> >What I was planning on doing for security was having an "access" file in
> >the products directory that contained a list of directories and a list of
> >the files (allowing wildcards) that you were allowed to access in _that_
> >directory. It was going to default to only letting you read txt and log
> >files in the product directory itself (defined by .).
> >You could also add roles to this file.
>
> My 'file access' product creates Zope folders which correspond to
> directories and other interesting objects. These Zope folders
> can use the std zope acl_users (or whatever) and can also contain
> methods and products in the Zope database specific to that
> directory or file tree. This allows you to create different meta-data
> for the same directories, depending on how they are accessed from
> Zope (different subdir folders pointing at the same filesys path).

That's closer to how I was planning to allow access control for specific
directories and files. The problem with this approach is that I don't want
to make the objects that represent directories or files in the local file
system persistent Zope objects, which would be necessary to store access
control data in the ZODB. I like the 'access' file approach for that reason,
but I don't like the fact that it wouldn't be manageable throught the Zope
interface. I honestly haven't come up with a really good solution yet.

--jfarr