[Zope] newbie, Help with managment login

Jeff Rush Jeff Rush" <jrush@timecastle.net
Sat, 30 Oct 99 06:03:50 -0500

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:35:42 +1000, root wrote:

>    I just grabed the latest Zope rpms ,  it seems to work fine , I get
>to the "welcome to Zope!" page and the QuickStart pages work , but  when
>I try to access the managment screens  I allways get
>Authorization error?  I am using RedHat6.1 and have tried using Apache
>and Zserver and get the same error with both? I have tried changing the
>username and password in the access file.
>
>There must be some thing simple that I am missing?

Perhaps.  Are you by chance trying to access Zope from another
machine other than the one you  installed it on, and if so, did you
set the domainname in the /var/zope/access file to permit access
from that remote machine?  The RPMs default to localhost only.

I would have said you might have not configured Apache correctly to
pass thru authentication info, but if you have the same problem with
standalone ZServer then Apache is not involved.

I really need to patch Zope to log reasons for authentication failures,
so we can diagnose these things.  I also need it to diagnose FTP
login failures, of which I see a lot, due to the odd (but necessary)
way Zope has of accepting a username/password and then re-applying
it to each dir/file you access via FTP.  You -think- you logged in
correctly, but didn't and can't get info from Zope on what went wrong.

-Jeff Rush