[Zope] Announce: Where's the zope? => Flash SDK openSource

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:51:50 +0100

Following my previous post on Zope and multimedia - openSWF(FLASH)...
Here is a quote from a recent post to the Macromedia.open-swf newgroup.

From: Pete Santangeli <>
Date:	04 October 1999 19:37
Subkect: Re: file format specification along with sample code

[snip]
... there are several efforts under way currently
at Macromedia (or funded by Macromedia) to further the open file format
and open source effort. These include:

- A Flash File Format SDK. This will consist of a set of API's to easily
 create .swf output from C++ applications. The intention here is to
 fully expose the Flash file format (as before) and to additionally allow
 engineers to quickly create Flash output without getting bogged down in
 the details of Flash's compression.

- A Flash Source SDK. This is the key deliverable for our Flash Free Source
 initiative. It will consist of the core Flash player packaged in a manner
that
 will make it easy to port onto differing platforms and environments. The
 intent here is to separate the core code from the interface code that
 needs to be modified for any given environment.

My appologies for the time it has taken to get these out the door. We
have been endeavouring to do a thorough job of documenting the
material and ensuring that it is easy to use. I am confident that the
delay has been worth while.

We are not currently looking for additional beta partners (we have a list
of companies already in the queue) but I would expect a public release
this month.

Pete Santangeli
He confirms in a later post that the source will be available.

Jason Cunliffe  <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>
NOMADICS.STUDIO(Design Director)
Geo-Digital Arts and Technology
Le Vieux Moulin,  Route de Mons