[Zope] Zope Newbie Needs Install Help

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:59:59 +0200

> Hello, All -
>
> My apologies if this is a sore subject with list members.

Sore subject? Nah, I see problems being fixed here all the time. :)

> Zope has been generating a lot of buzz, so I decided to check
> it out.  I
> have been through the bugs list, the online docs, the docs distributed
> with Zope, and have searched this list, to no avail.  Joining
> the list is
> my last resort.
>
> Basically, after two weeks of trying, I have yet to get Zope
> to work.  I
> have tried it on the following:
[snip]

You seem to have been exceptionally unlucky. I'll rule out incompetence
until I hear more about _what_ exactly goes wrong on your systems. ;)

Fyi, I have set up Zope on two NT servers (standalone ZServer) and two
Linux boxes (with Apache/PCGI), and they all work perfectly.

One point worth examining is which version of Zope you're attempting to
use. I would decidely put my cards on the latest Zope beta (b6), as it
seems quite stable.

[snip]

> I've tried Zope as PCGI with an existing webserver, and also with the
> built-in HTTPServer.  Starting up Zope with it's own server
> on Win32 gets
> nothing on either port 8080 or port 9763.

If you mean ZopeHTTPServer -- which would mean you're using Zope 1.x --
use of this module is deprecated. Stick with ZServer instead.

When you start up ZServer it should say emit some information saying
which port it's on. The default port in Zope 2 betas is 8080.

>The start.bat file is using the
> wrong python executable (python was already installed on the
> system).

Zope can coexist with another Python installation, though. If start.bat
uses bin\python -- and iirc, it does -- this is not necessarily "wrong".
On Win32, Zope comes with its own Python distribution, and using it is
recommended.

>The
> problems go on and on, I will not bore you with them.

Actually, we can't help you unless you tell us what's wrong. You're
essentially saying that things don't work, but you're not saying how
they don't work. Go ahead, bore us.

[snip]

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers and a