[Zope] Zope Newbie Needs Install Help

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:41:49 +0200

At 15:09 01/09/99 , John Turner wrote:

>OK, thanks for all the quick replies.  Here is more info:
>
>- I'm aware of the python 1.5.2 requirement...I've downloaded python 1.5.2
>for both linux and win32 from python.org, and installed it on both
>platforms prior to downloading Zope..AFAIK, python is working correctly on
>both platforms

You don't need to install python on Win32. On Linux, you need to configure
it with threads. Do:

python
import threading

If you get an error you need to reconfigure and recompile python.

>- The zope I've downloaded is the latest (well, in the case of linux, it
>might have been beta4 or beta5...for Win32, it was released Aug 19...I
>downloaded it last Saturday)

beta 5 is dated 26/08.

>- I've tried Zope with Apache on linux, but had problems with the
>mod_rewrite changes (the more complex apache config issues are not my best
>point).  So I tried the ZServer on linux...nothing on port 8080.

Just used the default ./start? Wait until it says it has started the HTTP
server. If there is an error, it will tell you on the prompt. Let us know
what you get.

>- On Win32, I run start.bat, the hourglass turns to a hand, and there is
>nothing on port 8080 or port 9763 (or port 9673, whichever one the docs
>say is correct).  I modified start.bat to use the python that I installed
>previously, no change.  The install docs say to look for a file called
>"SITENAME.exe" after a successful Win32 install of Zope...there is no such
>file anywhere on the system

I believe the SITENAME.exe part of the doc is outdated. It is a feature of
Zope 1 that I believe is no longer supported in Zope 2. DC?

I just downloaded Zope 2.0b6 and installed this without a problem. Zope2 is
reachable as soon as the file Z2.log appears in the var subdirectory of
your server.

>- I will gladly volunteer to write docs for Zope...I do not expect
>everything for free (which is why I tried everything on my own before
>coming to the list...I prefer to solve things myself) and I do not expect
>perfect support or perfect docs from the makers of Zope...I *do* expect to
>be able to get it installed, considering my experience level.  If I can
>get this working, on either the linux or Win32 systems, I will gladly
>document the steps I had to take...so far, following the install docs
>hasn't gotten me anywhere.

If you do get through to Zope and have some docs to share, join the ZDP
list. We can use any hand we can get.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer