[Zope] ZODB performance via direct disk writes

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 22:41:21 -0400

> On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Rob Garrett wrote:
>
>> this would basically require creating a zope filesystem, and would have to
>> be ported to each individual system.. yuch..
> Not really. This would basically require a symlink from Data.fs to
> /dev/yourdevice, and a bit of massaging (backup files?) in ZODB.

I can say pretty definately that as much as people want to talk about this,
there's no plans anywhere in the future to do this.  If someone wants to do
this, this is a good community project, but I can think of dozens of other
places where huge performance bonuses could be gained before this kind of
micro-optimization will ever make an impact.  Caching offsets this a huge
amount.

BTW, my benchmarks on Oracle on raw devices v. file systems shows that on
non-RAID that raw is 5-10% faster, but on RAID, it's 2-3x slower... so I
don't see this as some huge benefit. Theory and reality rarely are kissing
cousins.

Chris