[Zope] ZODB performance via direct disk writes

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:54:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> > On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Rob Garrett wrote:
> >
> >> this would basically require creating a zope filesystem, and would have to
> >> be ported to each individual system.. yuch..
> > Not really. This would basically require a symlink from Data.fs to
> > /dev/yourdevice, and a bit of massaging (backup files?) in ZODB.
>
> I can say pretty definately that as much as people want to talk about this,
> there's no plans anywhere in the future to do this.  If someone wants to do
> this, this is a good community project, but I can think of dozens of other
> places where huge performance bonuses could be gained before this kind of
> micro-optimization will ever make an impact.  Caching offsets this a huge
> amount.
I didn't say that it makes sense. I just negated that it is unportable.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256