[Zope] Zope Mailing List Software is hugely inconsistent!

Jon S. Jaques lists@almus.com
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:44:38 -0400

Hey, How's it going?

You know, I used to use Eudora religiously (v1 through v3, and Pro, not
lite), but I just got so burned out on being restricted within the "space"
of the Eudora interface -- I far prefer being able to have messages
free-floating anywhere on my nice 19" monitor, without having to have the
main interface huge. Also, I seem to recall that it did not seem to be
multi-threaded, so that anytime it was doing anything, like sending or
receiving mail, you just had to wait for it. On a modem, that really sucked!
(Also, Eudora did not gracefully deal with HTML mail.)

What version are you running? Are any of these things overcome yet? I think
I *tried* v4, Pro, but on top of the old issues, it was also bloated.

To answer your question as to whether or not Outlook would let you filter on
those specific fields: Nothing (that I've ever seen) filters as good as
Eudora! And the only thing that even comes close is Outlook! Specifically of
all the lists that I subscribe to, if the headers are consistent, there is
no problem.

> uhoh, not a
> 'my software is better' war...

Please, I agree whole-heartedly - if there's a solution, I'm all for it.

> unfortunately not
> all mailing list managers do a good job. From, To, CC, BCC and
> Reply-To are
> not to be touched, for various reasons. Headers that are added by MailMan
> (the package used for all but one Zope related lists I know) adds the
> following headers:

If I run through the Zope list, I see a huge amount of variation in the From
line, mostly; some messages are From: "zope-admin@zope.org on behalf of
"<user>"... is it not the list manager software that is rewriting this line?

Is this difference only because sometime the messages are sent To:
zope@zope.org, and sometimes they are CC'd there, instead? Sounds like a
problem with the manager, to me.

> Sender: zope-admin@zope.org

Hmmm, custom headers, in addition to the re-written From line?

> Hmmm.. I think that we would go down the totaly wrong pathway here if we
> try to accomodate erroneous Microsoft software all the time. =)

Like I said, this is not about me, M$, or even email clients. It's about
header consistency.

IMHO, whatever is rewriting that From line should be fixed.

--Jon