[Zope] Portal idea

Tim Wilson wilson@chemsun.chem.umn.edu
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 00:42:00 -0500 (CDT)

Hi everyone,

I'm brewing an idea here about how I might use Zope to create a portal
site for my school district that would be a resource for our community
too. This has so many possibilities, I don't know where to start. I've
been making a list of all the cool things I could include that would be of
interest to parent and students alike. So far it's a long list.

One of the items on the list is a community-wide calendar of events. I'm
posting this note to see if this makes sense.

For my ZCalendar, then, I would want to list things like school sporting
event, school music concerts, city council meetings, etc. Obviously, I
could structure it in such a way that would give one person responsibility
for the sporting events, another for music, etc.

So, if I'm understanding Zope, the thing to do would be to create a ZClass
called 'event' with properties such as title, time, date, location, etc.
Could I have additional properties for certain events? Let's say sporting
events would also have properties like sport (e.g., football), score  and
opponent. Now I could use ZCatalog to gather all of the contributed events
and publish them in some format that I design. Is this right?

Now let's say that the big football game is over, and we'd like to publish
the score on our site. Could I then go back to that event, add the
information to the 'score' property and have ZCatalog publish the results?

Am I in the ballpark with this?

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/