[Zope] a quick note on a redhat 6.0/apache install

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:09:07 +0200

At 06:17 06/09/99 , Stuart Woolford wrote:

>Having done great battle to get 2.0.0 zope working under apache, I thought I'd
>pass on a couple of tips:
>
>0 - remember to run the install script in the zope directory, and check you
>have the zope/pcgi/pcgi-wrapper executable
>
>1 - you need to add the required lines to the httpd.conf
>(/etc/httpd/httpd.conf) apache file as per the existing documentation.
>
>2 - you need to make Zope.cgi in both the zope directory and the
>/home/httpd/cgi-bin directory *readable by the zope process*- which gets
>run as
>nobody - THIS IS EASY TO MISS!!!!

You don't need the Zope.cgi in the Zope directory, see note below.

>3 - user 'nobody' must be able to execute the Zope.cgi and pcgi-wrapper
>programs
>
>4 - you must start the zope server (from in the zope directory, and usually as
>root ) by running './start -p ./Zope.cgi' (hey, there are other ways, but this
>is for a simple test) - and leave it running while you test access.

If you start with -p /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi you won't need the
Zope.cgi in your home directory at all. Zope uses it to see where the
socket file will reside I believe.

>5 - With (from memory) the normal setup strings for httpd.conf, you need to
>access either
>http://localhost/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi
>or
>http://localhost/Zope/
>*note the trailing slash- it's required*

Hmm.. if the / is required this is probably a bug. DC? I CCed
support@digicool.com for this reason.

>6 - zope/var must be writable by the Zope server *and* (I think) by the
>pcgi-wrapper, so must be writable by user 'nobody' (this needs checking, it's
>from memory..)

Not the pcgi-wrapper, only the var directory

>  7 - if things don't work, look in ALL the
>error/log files for hints (the files in /etc/httpd/logs and zope/var)

Very important hint =). Also, use the PCGI sanity checker from:

   http://starship.python.net/crew/jbauer/persistcgi/pcgifile/

It is a CGI script that'll check your Zope.cgi file on just about
everything that can go wrong.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer