[Zope] Oracle connection requirements

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:09:31 -0400

> Jens,
>
> The error is generated by pcgi-wrapper, not the ZOracleDA.  Does the
> error occur only when you use ZOracleDA?  (In other words, does
> everything work without the module present?)
>
> -Jeff Bauer

Jens,

I suspect I know what's going on here - I'd bet that the problem
is that:

  1. PCGI is failing because Zope is failing to start properly

  2. Zope is probably failing to start properly because is it
     trying to import the oracle interface module.

  3. This is most likely happening because the C oracle libraries
     _require_ that a variable such as ORACLE_HOME be set in the
     environment of the process that tries to use them (you may
     want to double check the exact name of the environment variable
     required - I'm going on somewhat fuzzy memory here). When the
     the Python oracle interface is imported, the oracle C libs do
     not find the environment variable and cause an immediate exit.

The solution:

  In your PCGI info file (if the process is being started by PCGI) or
  in the "start" script that runs ZServer (if you run ZServer manually),
  you need to arrange for the oracle environment variable to be set.
Note
  that if your setup is such that PCGI starts your Zope process
automatically,
  you just need to add a line such as:

    ORACLE_HOME=/foo/bar

  to your PCGI info file. Otherwise you need to either set it in your
own
  environment when starting the process or (better) modify the start
script
  to set it when it is run.

Hope this helps!

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com