[Zope] Stopping PCGI publisher from starting

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:27:48 -0400

> Sorry if this is all easily understood by studying the source code --
> and I'm sure it is -- but please help me out anyway.
>
> If ZServer is running, it seems the PCGI wrapper -- or mod_pcgi? -- is
> able to connect directly to ZServer, without the need of
> pcgi-wrapper/pcgi_publisher.py. This is fine, and it is our current
> scenario, which works great.
>
> Unfortunately, if ZServer is _not_ up and running, the PCGI
> wrapper will
> kick in and start serving stuff itself. This is annoying when doing
> maintenance that involves stopping ZServer.
>
> Is fixing this as trivial as commenting out stuff from Zope.cgi?

Most likely - try commenting out the PCGI_PUBLISHER line in your
Zope.cgi. I haven't tested this, but it _should_ cause pcgi
to fail to start up the process by itself without bothering its
ability to connect if the server is already running.

If I'm wrong on that, a low-tech but quick solution is to just
temporarily rename Zope.cgi while you are doing maintenance to
make sure PCGI doesn't have a chance to crank anything up.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909