[Zope] Editing DTML Methods with Emacs ?

flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:55:05 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 10:21:04AM -0400, Paul Everitt wrote:
> This, I'm afraid, is a big problem.  Trying to get a dumb object system
> (FTP) to play with a smart object system (the web object model) is quite
> problematic.
>
> I can tell you the basic idea we have around here to address this, but
> I'll warn that there is no activity to implement.  Thus, consider this a
> suggestion, and I'll note that patches are accepted. :^)

The proposal sounds very promising.

Still I wonder if there's perhaps an easier fix for the problem:

Is there a reason that uploading an object via ftp has to discard/change
the properties of an existing object with the same names ?

Perhaps the behavior of ZServer could be modified so that if an ftp upload
would replace an DTML method, then the new object still will be a DTML
method. Currently, Zope seems to have some magic that makes a guess that
the upload it DTML text and then, there's a hidden default that DTML text
will be saved as an DTML document. Now if Zope simply would default to
keeping the type of the object, if it already exists, editing via ftp
would be much easier, not ?

	Gregor