[Zope] error starting zope on solx86

Steen Suder sfs@sciatl.dk
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 07:46:02 +0000

>I am trying to get zope running on a Solaris x86 box, this is the error I am
> getting:

<Snip>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/export/work/soft/Zope-2.0.0-src/z2.py", line 494, in ?
>     pf = open(PID_FILE, 'w')
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/export/work/soft/Zope-2.0.0-src/var/Z2.pid'
> null:[pts/2][2:20am]:105:/export/work/soft/Zope-2.0.0-src#

I'm new at this, but I think it is some sort of authorization problem.

You'll have to consider a few important things.

1. Who owns the the installation (user, group)?
2. What are the permissions in the installation?
3. Who runs the start script?
4. Which effective user is the start script run with (look at the -u
switch)?

I guess that root owns the installation and that you're starting Zope as
a nonprivileged user or do not have the proper permissions throughout
the installation tree
.

Be aware that my close to non-existant knowledge originates from Linux.
;-)

--
Best regards / Mvh.,
Steen Suder