[Zope] The Honest Scoop on Zope

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:30:13 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Salisbury <brian@hilarious.com>
To: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] The Honest Scoop on Zope

>Thanks for your reply Kevin.  You answered most of the other questions that
>didn't get answered before.  The advice is helpful.

You're welcome.

>As far as hosting, I've already got a dedicated server in California.  So
I'd
>rather try to make this work on it before paying someone more money to host
>site of mine.  But my problem is, with the dedicated option, I don't have
root
>access.  I can choose to have it co-located, which would mean I would have
root
>access.  But that means I would be managing the server myself without any
>assistance from them.  So now I'm learning Linux and networking et al so I
may
>be able to manage the server myself remotely.

Ahh, now I understand. I didn't realize that you had already purchased a
dedicated server. It makes sense that you have to either let them manage the
box fully (ie no root for you), or you manage it fully (ie you get root).

>Does Zope help with the organization of "html" files?  Is it easier to know
>where stuff is, or find if you don't?

It can help, because it allows you to attach metadata to your documents. For
example, you can have an "author" property, and then use ZCatalog to list
all docs with that author. Zope also has a "Find" feature to help you locate
something through the management interface.

Kevin