[Zope] CONNECTION POOLING/CONCURRENT DATABASE CONNECTIONS

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 19:05:13 -0400

> Question:
>
> Can ZOPE handle multiple database connections or connection pooling?

Yes and no.  There, that was easy, yes? :-)

What this means is that each thread of the application server (normally 4)
will have it's own set of database connection objects instantiated.  Whether
the back-end actually serializes it or not is a separate question, largely
dependent on thread-safety of client libraries.

You can of course have multiple database connections to different databases
as well.  Connection pooling is a much harder concept to deal with.  I'm not
sure how this applies to Zope, and honestly if it would GAIN anything other
than the management of the number of connections to Foocle database.  Right
now, there is no way to do that other than to control the number of
application threads---which isn't ideal, but nobody has actually SHOWN a
problem in real world situations.

Does this answer your question?

Chris