[Zope] RE: Two newbie questions

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 10:36:03 -0700

Amos Latteier wrote:

>  Michael Bernstein wrote:
> <stuff deleted
> > With the minor quibble that it would be nice
> > to have logical
> > operators besides 'OR' to chain queries within a Topic, this
> > proposal seems
> > perfect.
>
> Well, if you are using only one ZCatalog, you can AND queries by
> combining them. Then all you really lack is OR. Actually, a NOT would be
> pretty handy too.
>
> One concern I have is making the query building and manipulation too
> complex. Probably we'll start with a pretty simple scheme and expand it
> later.

Fair enough. I did have one other idea though: Will Topics accept parameters
passed to them? Put it another way, will we be able to build dynamic topics?

Another idea: Will it be possible to 'Topic-ize' the results of a ZSQL method?
they return a flat list.

> > The one thing that is unclear is whether you can set
> > properties on a Topic, or
> > if you would have to place a Document with properties on it
> > into the Topic.

> > BTW, as this is so useful in contexts other than
> > news/informational, I propose
> > changing the name from Topics to 'Category' or 'ZCategory'.
>
> I agree that these are better names.

I had a light go on: I can use Topics in combination with the Calendar tag and
acquisition to build custom calendars!

Given:
/root
  /Topic_1
  /Topic_2
  /Topic_3
  /Calendar

A URL like /root/Topic_1/Topic_2/Calendar/ should be valid and show me events in
both Topics (or categories, whatever)!

I can also see Topics being very useful in constructing heirarchical product
catalogs...

Cheers, all, and keep those ideas flowing!

Michael