[Zope] Zophoo!

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

Arnaud Lecat writes:
>Hey all, what do you think of making a better Yahoo! in Zope ? :)

If you're thinking of just the hierarchical category display, the
ODP-related work seems very relevant.
(http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/zope/) People who attended the
recent DCPIGgies meeting heard me talk about it, but its current state
hasn't been mentioned on any mailing lists.  Briefly, I've found that
it's easier for me to just write generic Python code to manage an ODP
database, and then put a Zope wrapper on top of this code to display
it, make it ZCatalog-aware, etc.  The code must be able to modify the
database, so you could re-implement www.dmoz.org's editorial system,
or do clever things like track how many people follow each link.

I'm hoping to spend some hacking time on the ODP code this weekend.

Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and
cats like authors for the same reasons.
    -- Robertson Davies, "mehitabel"