[Zope] ADVICE needed: multi-site Zope installations, PCGI and ZServer

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:20:45 +0100

Hi all,
I'd like to gather the collective wisdom of the list on this
situation I need to sort out;

1) We run Apache with lots of virtual servers. Within the virtual
servers I have Rewrite rules that point to various subfolders of a
Zope 1.10.3 installation, which uses PCGI. Each one of the subfolders
corresponds to a site that shares a set of core DTML, ZSQL and
External methods, along with their customizations specific to that
subfolder (subsite).

2) This works, but the manage screens for the subsites are mangled,
which can lead the admins of those sites getting very confused. I
understand that this is something that can only be fixed in the
innards of ZPublisher, ie beyond my ken.
   [DC guys - this is definitely a pain for those wanting to run
several subsites from a single Zope installation, thus taking care of
shared methods etc.]

3) I'm also running a Zope 2.0.0 system on a higher port number using
ZServer (ie bypassing the Apache server entirely). I'm in the process
of shifting parts of the 1.10.3 site to this 2.0.0 site. This site is
quite fast and I'm pleased with it. The intention is to run the main
site and the subsites from this installation.

4) What I *want* to do is save the effort of exporting  (and keeping
up to date!) to different installations of Zopethe various core
methods I have in the 1.10.3 installation, whilst at the same time
allowing the virtual hosts to point to subfolders in the main
distribution. I also want maximum speed and to be able to keep all my
Zope products *for all the subsites* in one place. (I want, I
want....)

5) If I understand it correctly, if I use Apache to manage the
virtual servers I *have* to use PCGI rather than ZServer. PCGI is
approximately 4 times slower than ZServer (this from a Jason Thaxter
email of 1/9/99)
"While many benchmarking stats are meaningless, I can support Amos' basic
contention that zerver is about 4x faster that apache/pcgi/zerver."

My questions are:
Can I *somehow* use Apache to manage the virtual hosts (passing on
the authentication headers) to a ZServer based Zope instance. This
way I get Apache logging and other benefits?
Can I split this instance into subsites that get less confused
management screens?
As I'm using MySQL as my database adapter, which is currently not
thread-safe, am I better off just creating these subsites separately
and running three or four different Zope instances?
Should I use the SOFTWARE_HOME and INSTANCE_HOME variables to run
several Zope instances (each containing what would be a subsite), but
only one software instance, thus keeping all my External methods and
Products in one place? (and if so, any pointers on how to do this
would be great)

any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2