[Zope] Cacheing

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:24:21 -0500

Jason Jones wrote:

> From: Peter Sabaini <cccp@oeh.tu-graz.ac.at>

[snip]

> > On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Jason Jones wrote:
> >
> > :As I understand it, this scheme would pretty much create a cached copy of
> > :the rendered object which would itself live in the ZODB.

Not in the ZODB -- in memory.  The ZCache object would, of course, live in the
ZODB and be demand loaded and unloaded like any other object.  The actual
cached text would be stored in a transient variable, and would evaporate if the
ZCache object were unloaded.  This is good, since Zope will only unload it if
it's taking up space that more popular objects need (unless rendering the
object is **very** expensive; what then?).

> > why not just use some separate subsystem for caching, eq. a squid
> > in httpd accelerator mode?

Squid (or Apache) will work fine, but under very limited circumstances:

o The cached object is a 'final' document, rather than a 'part' (eg. a banner
or toolbar)
o Your cache rules are *very* simple
o You don't need authentication or side effects of the URL lookup
o You're willing to explicitly kill the cache, or just wait, when you make
changes