[Zope] does Win ZServer need TCP/IP?

tommy b iamtommyb@excite.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:42:40 PDT

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:21:18 +0200, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> tommy b wrote:
> > Is TCP/IP needed to use ZServer for only "local" hosting?  Is there
another
> > meathod (i.e. Java script) that a local host server can access zope
pages?

> nope.

Oh well, I was hopping to find something that will render Zope pages without
having to open TCP/IP sockets, etc...

> > I was trying to avoid loading TCP/IP on my computer that I'll write &
test
> > my zope web sites for security reasons.  I'll use NetBUI to transfer
the
> > files to my host after testing them out.
> > thanks for any help!
>
> No you cant test a webserver (Zserver as an example) without TCP/IP.
> Since HTTP uses TCP uses IP for transfer of data.
> See rfc2616 (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec6.html )
> If you want security, NetBUI is much more insecure as TCP/IP for
> itself :)
> My advice: install TCP/IP, disable any services you dont need, including
> NetBUI over TCP/IP and Microsoft Printer/Datasharing and use ftp
> to move files around (better: use Zope and HTTP to move subtrees or the
> whole Zope-documenttree around)

Well, (not to get too off subject), I was going to use the
NetBUI-for-file-sharing-only trick (both computers are on the same network),
but I may use Linux on the web host.

thanks Tino!