[Zope] More pickle problems... becoming epidemic.

Scott Anderson sanderson@ttm.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:30:41 -0400

evan@tokenexchange.com wrote:

> We need to establish the exact sequence of events, here.

Sorry, I should know better than that.

> You installed Zope, then what?  Did you install any Products?  Are any of
> them broken?

I installed Brian's ZSybaseDA.  None are broken.

> The folder you mention -- how was it created?

Add new folder.

> Did you import anything?

No.

> Convert a version 1.x ODB?

No. As I said, fresh install of 2.0.0, first time user.

> Only use the web interface to create objects?

Yes.  Possible oddity: for a while I was using two browsers under the
same login to manipulate the database through the management interface.
However, I have since curtailed that activity under the suspicion of it
NotWorkingQuiteRightThatWay(tm), but I am still receiving the unpickling
errors on occasion.

> Is it a plain Folder, or a folderish object from some Product?

Plain Folder, populated with ZSybaseDA connections and SQL Methods.

> When you say that the unpickling error is sporadic, do you mean it comes
> and goes with no action on your part, or that you fix the ZODB somehow, and
> the problem reoccurs at an unpredictable later time?

Occasionally, I will get ZOPE errors reporting that it cannot find the
folder within which I am attempting to change a DTML Document.
Typically, if I hit the back button and retry, the second try will
succeed.  When this event happens, there is always an "unpickle" error
message in the shell session within which I am running the ZOPE process.

When the folder "went away", I received the "possible broken product
messages".  These messages continued whenever I attempted to access the
folder, until I restarted ZOPE (which incidentally will also cure the
unpickle problems temporarily), at which point I had to commit my
current session before the folder was accessible again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-scott