[Zope] Simplifying complex contexts/urls

Toby Dickenson htrd90@zepler.org
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:00:20 GMT

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:09:16 -0400, you wrote:

>> 2. There must be some limit on the length of the allowable url in the
>> browser's display.  What are the chances that an extended session of
>> clicking around will run into that limit?
>
>Who knows?  I don't think the HTTP spec has a limit on URL length, it's
>probably implimentation defined.

Only 256 characters is _guaranteed_, but you seem to be able to get
away with quite a bit more.

My only other data point is that Internet Explorer is unhappy after
about 2000 characters. My current project is likely to be pushing this
limit, so I would be interested if anyone has seen anything lower.
http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/urllen contains a quick test.

Thanks,

Toby Dickenson