[Zope] Rich client side questions

Jody Winston jody@sccsi.com
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 08:54:18 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I have a project which fits very well with Zope's view of the world,
except for the client side GUI[1].  I need the ability to directly
manipulate objects with a minimum amount of traffic going back to the
server[2].  I'm currently leaning toward using Java applets that use a
CORBA like protocol with Swing[3].

The Java solution solves the interaction issues, but cuts out Zope as
a method of getting data to the Java applet.  The questions are:
  o Any other ideas besides Java to do the client side work?
  o If, I'm stuck using Java should I add a protocol such as NTTP-NG
    to Zope?
  o How well does Zope without Apache serve up applets?

Footnotes:
[1]  HTML isn't going to cut it.

[2] One example of this mode of interaction would be a plot.  The user
creates a plot and interacts by clicking and selecting the plotted
objects.  Another example is sweeping out a region with a mouse.

[3]  It may be HTTP-NG or IIOP.

Jody Winston