[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity: Part 1: wysiwig editing wysiwig editing

Peter Sabaini sabaini@niil.at
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:52:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:

:At 03:50 23/09/99 , Dody Gunawinata wrote:
:>I think "DOCUMENTATION" is more than anything else, the greatest barrier
:>to people using Zope.
:>Probably Zope is too powerful for its own good. You've got this tons of
:>features that you can exploit,
:>so much of good thing, but there is currently no document that actually
:>guides a beginner gently and hides
:>the more advance features from them.
:>
:>For example, about storing data. In Cold Fusion/ASP/Perl, there aren't
:>many ways to store a data, flat file or a database. That's easy
:>to explain to a beginner..Do it this way, only. Limited but simple. With
:>Zope, you got Persistent database, SQL database, and tons of cool tricks
:>to do with them. I see one beginner example (can't remember the article)
:>where it guides the user to create a WebBoard using Python/Persistent. A
:>beginner would simply lost. A ZSQL method would be a lot simpler, as SQL
:>is easier to understand.
:>
:>Much of the documentation is designed with *advance* developers in mind.
:>It's time for Zope for Dummies.
:>
:>Dody
:
:What many people forget here is that Zope is a Web Application Platform. It
:is, first and foremost, designed as a framework for applications.

i think it also is targeted at content managers? if so, then you
not only have designers using zope, but also all kinds of content
providers, editors & the like.

and, to be honest: there ARE friendlier ways to edit content than
the <textarea> (i want a <textarea-using-emacs>;))

btw. macromedias dreamweaver states some xml support, havent
checked it out though.

peter.

:Zope was designed for Web Application Developers, not designers. The
:documentation follows this design. I actually feel that dummies should stay
:away from Zope. Frontpage is for dummies.
:
:As far as DTML editing goes: DTML was designed to put a face on the
:application, not so much as to be used on its own. DTML is very powerful
:for this, but its features also make it unsuitable for WISYWIG editing.
:
:--
:Martijn Pieters, Web Developer
:| Antraciet http://www.antraciet.nl
:| Tel: +31-35-7502100 Fax: +31-35-7502111
:| mailto:mj@antraciet.nl http://www.antraciet.nl/~mj
:| PGP: http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8A32149
:
:Zope maillist  -  Zope@zope.org
:
:(To receive general Zope announcements, see:
:
:For developer-specific issues, zope-dev@zope.org -