[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Re: source control

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:25:53 -0400

> What should Zope source code control look like?  The ZODB's versioning
> is too fine-grained, because every little change is stored as a
> separate version.  What you really want is to draw a circle around a
> given set of DTML + SQL queries + other objects, and store them as a
> snapshot.  (ExternalMethods are tricky, because they're in source
> files outside the ZODB.)
>
> Vague speculation, at least for CVS support: imagine having a 'CVS
> checkin' tab on a folder.  Clicking it would loop over the contents of
> the folder, exporting each object in the XML format and writing it to
> some preconfigured CVS working directory.  After writing the files, a
> standard 'cvs commit' is done.  That's terribly crude, and running
> 'cvs diff' will require reading XML to interpret the changes, but it's
> a start.

Ooooh..  I think these two paragraphs are a neat idea.  Maybe instead of
a folder what if you had a drop-in object called a CVS_Container.  The
CVS_Container would contain the IDs of some number of Zope objects.
Visiting the CVS_Container would let you add/edit/delete elements in the
Container and/or check-in/out/update.  I think a folder would often be
too "large" to correlate nicely into CVS.

Thoughts?

--Rob