[Zope] 2b6/zserver/redhat linux - python process seems to be growing ?

Mark P. Fister mfister@jump.net
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:46:40 +0000

"Dr. Ross Lazarus" wrote:

> I have a ZODB about 5.4 mb and what appears to be a normal healthy zope
> 2b6 except that whenever I check, the size of the python processes (as
> revealed by top) seems to be expanding steadily. It starts out around
> 7.54mB and is currently 34.5mB or so...
>
> Anyone else noticed this or is it just me ? Flushing the cache seems to
> make no difference.
>
> At what point should I start wondering about memory leaks ?

Flushing the cache will take your python processes' heap usage down, as
you expected.

However, those pages are still reserved to your python processes by the
operating system.  This is normal.  The only way any application can
reduce its process size (as reported by the likes of top) is by calling
reclaim() (or some such).  Only certain operating systems support this
notion, as it's not often needed in the real world.

In any case, Python, I do not think, will ever be implemented this way.
The right solution for memory starvation is, quite simply, "Go to the
hardware store." :)

--
\_/] Mark P. Fister              Java, java, everywhere, and all     \_/]
\_/] Deja.com, Inc.              the cups did shrink; java, java     \_/]