[Zope] How Fast & Stable??

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:38:37 -0500

At 12:39 AM 9/28/99 +0800, chas wrote:
>>One programming note: within the next month we'll check in the work for
>>FastCGI, meaning you can sit behind Apache and not pay the fork tax.
>
>Please excuse my ignorance here, and not wishing to take too much
>of your precious time Paul, but why use FastCGI ? wasn't PCGI
>supposed to be even better or have I been brainwashed by spending
>too long on Mr Bauer's homepage ?

The C FastCGI library from OpenMarket wasn't multithread-capable; Digital
Creations is doing a Medusa implementation that will be.  This eliminates
most of the problems with FastCGI vs PCGI, and can even gain because it
removes the 'fork tax' if you have Apache with mod_fcgi.  This is also a
good way to go for broad webserver compatibility, since there are servers
besides Apache that support FastCGI, and last I heard mod_pcgi wasn't fully
functional compared to mod_fcgi.