[Zope] Allaire Spectra

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:37:04 +0200

Taken from the Spectra FAQ:

"What is the difference between Allaire Spectra and ColdFusion?
ColdFusion is Allaire's industry-leading Web application development
platform with a community of hundreds of thousands of developers
building sites today. Allaire Spectra is a new product family and
Allaire's solution for organizations wishing to build large-scale
systems that require advanced content management, e-commerce, and
personalization capabilities. Allaire Spectra is built entirely with
ColdFusion and requires the ColdFusion Enterprise Application Server.
Interactive developers use Allaire Spectra's visual tools, along with
ColdFusion Studio to build custom site implementations."

It looks like Spectra is a set of services interfacing with ColdFusion,
for creating applications in the three areas they advertise: content
management, e-commerce and personalization. We might infer from this
that they're focusing on e-commerce-enabled portals.

It's a closed, proprietary, commercial system, as seen in this FAQ:

"How much will Allaire Spectra cost?
Allaire Spectra is priced at $7,495 per server and requires the
ColdFusion Enterprise Application Server."

ColdFusion EAS is in turn pretty expensive. (Although not expensive in
enterprise terms. Just so expensive that somebody can't "install and
play around with it".) In other words, everything Zope isn't and will
never be.

Good news, I think. They're not learning.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over