[Zope] Reports and barcodes.

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:38:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, chas wrote:

> Perhaps I'm missing the point but, for the barcodes, why not
> just generate GIFs ? Then you could link them into webpages or
> wherever. Faster, no plugins, leaves you open to choose another
> format for the actual reports.
Well, the problem with GIFs is, that you cannot control which
page layout the browser will use to print the image.
Additionally, for a modern 24pin matrix printer, the resolution would
have to be 360x180 dpi or so.
(That's another thing you cannot express with an image/html: that
 the resolution of the image is X dpi, not some browser default.)

> As for reports, PDF is good for all of the reasons outlined by Evan.
> However, with MSIE 4+ and absolute positioning, you CAN generate
> a report with layout as precise and as good as any PDF document -
> easier and quicker to do too (I'm assuming your html and css are ok).
> Stylesheets and the MSIE Client SDK are your friends.
> For the reports, I'm assuming you control the end browser and this is
> not for public access where some mong will be using Netscape 1.x
Still doesn't solve the problem: For real form printing with dot matrix
printers one usually want to print ASCII and not bitmaps.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256