[Zope] feature request for web-email please ?

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:35:19 +0800

OK, in a fit of misplaced enthusiasm I volunteer to fix Notmail
(or at least take a stab at it) .. unless somebody else is already
doing this.

In fact, I was going to port my own webmail package, Pymail,
to zope anyway but was wary of undertaking the task for fear
of subjecting others to my not-so-great coding skills.
You can check Pymail at mail.ethos.st (username=test/passwd=123456)
It's been running for over a 18 months without problem.

Now, webmail can be just an interface for IMAP and I can
simply port all my scripts to zope using DTML methods and
documents, mixed with an external method or two. But this won't
make a great foundation for groupware (which is the reason I'm
willing to get the ball rolling on this) - so I figure most of
you would want some form of zclasses or object paradigm applying
to this, right ? I'm also thinking of how Notes/Domino use mail.

So, any ideas/requests ?

Btw, I can't promise when I'll get a beta done - so if somebody else
needs this soon or was planning on doing it quickly, let's talk.

Also from an earlier mail that I posted with an incorrect subject line :

[snip]
Which brings me finally (see i wasn't just being crass) to the question and
point : for Zope to be used in groupware (or in the 'mailing list archiver'),
it needs to integrate with email seemlessly - as in, mail can be sent to
the server (not to a person) for agents to handle. So, what's the best method
of making this happen ? Send to a traditional email address (eg. using qmail
or sendmail on the server) then pipe to a python script which then does what ?
seems a bit yukky.
[/snip]

cheers,

chas