[Zope] HTML To either RTF or preferably DOC

Hannu Krosing hannu@trust.ee
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:25:23 +0300

Dan Rusch wrote:

> We would like to convert an HTML document to either a RTF or preferably
> Word DOC. The caveat is that we would like to do this from within Zope
> (including an external method). Anyone done this or ideas?

There is no such thing as "Word DOC" ?
MS Word has at least 7 different formats, and also recognozes rtf when
saved if a file with .doc extension - that's often how newer versions
of MS Word "Save As" to some older Word version.
It may be that latest versions will automatically recognize even HTML
content in .doc

I guess there may have been some attempts of HTML->RTF conversion but I
was able to find only :
* latex2rtf (distributed with at least Debian Linux)
* SGMLkit - can convert XML to either RTF or HTML
* PolyglotMan - man pages to RTF,HTML,...
* XTAL (http://www.zeigermann.de/xtal.html) a powerful converter in java
* SGMLTools (www.sgmltools.org)

but none of them does exactly what you need ;(

You could theoretically use SGMLTools to define your doc's and then
produce either HTML or RTF as needed ..

Hannu