[Zope] How Fast & Stable??

Geoff Caplan geoff@productivity.co.uk
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 03:00:59 +0100

Hi folks

Thanks for your very full and thoughtful replies. I am sorry I have not
responded sooner, but I was called away from the office on a personal
matter...

Reading your replies, the thing that most concerns me is the question of how
to get around the limitations of CGI. I'm afraid that I am not up to speed
yet on all the details of the different approaches. Can some kind person
please spell out the alternatives, with their pros and cons? If speed and
scalability is the priority, what is the recommended approach?

From the tone of the thread, it looks as if things are moving towards
FastCGI. I am also looking at a solution with Tcl/Velocigen, and the guys
there write that:

Freely available interfaces do exist that use the FastCGI standard. These
other solutions require you to dedicate a single process for each script
executed and encourage the creation of fewer and larger, more complex
scripts, rather than many smaller, easy to manage scripts.

Also, these other FastCGI Perl implementations require you to know the
details of the FastCGI protocol, and force you to manage memory and system
resources.

Do these factors apply when FastCGI is used with Zope - or is Zope smart
enough to handle memory and system resource management for the developer?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions - this is a new field for me!

Thanks

Geoff Caplan