[Zope] Large user populations and local roles

Dennis Nichols nichols@tradingconnections.com
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 11:41:07 -0600

Here's my situation. I'm starting to develop a Zope-based site that could
have 100,000 or more (a lot more!) self-registered users and maybe 20 to 30
content creators for about 15 different content areas with only a few
content creators per area.

1. I think the large number of users should be no problem for one of the
DB-type user folders (GUF, UserDB, MySQLUF, ... yet to be determined)
2. I think the number of content creators and areas is within reason for
using local roles. They won't change often.
3. I can't imagine what will happen when I want to add a local role and
Zope tries to build a SELECT list of 100,000 names and sends it to my browser!

So am I crazy to use Zope for something this size, or just too dense to see
the obvious solution?

Regards, -Dennis