[Zope] Learning Linux and more (was: MySQLDA and MySQLdb probs and solns )

Eric L. Walstad ewalstad@energywright.com
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:16:31 -0800

// Damn. What a nightmare.
//
// Eric, I'm going to make some assumptions. Please forgive me if I'm off
// base:
//
// 1. You're pretty new to Linux
About 6 months old...
// 2. You've had some prior experience with Microsoft's operating systems
Too much prior experience!

// None of your problems were caused by Linux, Python, MySQLdb or Zope, but
// rather by your lack of familiarity with your OS. Hopefully, your three
// weeks in hell have taught you that it's time to spend some time
// getting to know Linux better. ;-)

Yes, I just spent 3 weeks getting to know Linux and gcc better.  I've
learned a lot.

// As a rule of thumb, you should never need to reformat your hard
// drive(!), nor reinstall Linux or Python. I repeat ... never! Too often,
// users of Win95/98/NT find themselves taking this kind of course, like
// when their DLLs get FUBAR'd, but that's almost never necessary with
// Linux. If you find yourself thinking you need to do this, stop. It's a
// sign you need to get some more information about what's happening.

I agree.  I'm a "newbie", but not THAT new.  I reformatted the hard drives
because I decided to scrap the dual boot situation; Frankenstein is now a
dedicated Linux box.
Boy, I sure got flamed for saying that I reformatted!

// Everything you'll ever need to know about Linux is available for free on
// the Internet, but it can be hard to locate. So I strongly urge you to go
// out and purchase a good reference book. Matt Welsh's _Running Linux_
// will do fine.

Yes, finding the info is what always takes me the longest time.

Here's a list of the books I've found to be good references:
The Linux Network - Butzen and Hilton - This one is FANTASTIC!
Linux Programmers Reference - Petersen
GNU C++ for Linux - Swan
and, although I hate to admit it,
Linux for Dummies - Hall - This is a great general reference for Linux

The Linux Programmer's Reference helped me the most on this particular
problem.  It had the best explanation of building and using libraries I
could find.  I was looking for a table of compiler switches with an
explanation (a good explanation) of each switch.  I never found one.  This
book had all the info, but it took a while to mine it all out.

// Once you get your book, you want to do some reading about ldconfig,
// ld.so.conf, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Actually, I did modify my ld.so.conf but going back to it I realize that,
while I added "/usr/local/lib/mysql," I left out "/usr/local/lib".  Now they
are both in there.  Hopefully this will help in the future.
I couldn't find any info on LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Can you point me in the right
direction?

Thanks for the pointers!  I still think the mailing lists are the best
resource!

Eric.