[Zope] Large user populations and local roles

Andy Dustman adustman@comstar.net
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 21:19:53 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Stuart 'Zen' Bishop wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Dennis Nichols wrote:
>
> > 3. I can't imagine what will happen when I want to add a local role and
> > Zope tries to build a SELECT list of 100,000 names and sends it to my browser!
>
> What will happen is you will patch your Zope installation, and then
> submit it to the collector for DC to make standard :-)
>
> I have around 3000 at the moment, and the default install still works
> provided I only do security management on my LAN rather than via modem.

Acutally, if you use an ZSQL method to get the user list, it will probably
be cut off at 1000 (I believe that is the default). But a cut-off list is
only marginally useful anyway. What is really needed is a small search
form that returns a partial user list.

> > So am I crazy to use Zope for something this size, or just too dense to see
> > the obvious solution?

Hopefully not, or we'll end up in the same cell.

--
andy dustman       |     programmer/analyst     |      comstar.net, inc.
telephone: 770.485.6025 / 706.549.7689 | icq: 32922760 | pgp: 0xc72f3f1d