[Zope] Zope monitor - howTo ?

J.P. Racine admin@thot.net
Mon, 03 Apr 2000 09:46:39 -0400

Anders Holmbech Nielsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read in some mails on this list that there is some util named
> "Zope monitor" that one can use to keep Zope running (and yes it
> crashes, two times the last 4 days).
>
> Is there some howTo somewhere or do anyone out there have some cool
> links I can go to ??

Gidday Eh?

 There is a package called daemontools written by Dan Bernstein (master
of the universe) that has a
very reliable module contained in it called "supervise" - here is a
brief note from the manpage.

DESCRIPTION
       supervise  runs  program with the given args.  It restarts
       program if program dies.

       supervise maintains status information, in a  binary  for-
       mat, in dir/status.  It uses dir/status.new as a temporary
       file so that dir/status is never partially  written.   dir
       must already exist and be writable for supervise.

       supervise accepts commands from svc through the dir/svcon-
       trol file.

       supervise locks dir/lock, so two copies of supervise  can-
       not run with the same dir.

       supervise  pauses for a second before starting program, so
       that it does not loop too quickly if program exits immedi-
       ately.

This seems to be what you are looking for - works well for me.  You can
grab the package at
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

Take care,

J.P. Racine