[Zope] Re: Re: Changing file ownership

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:47:18 -0700

[Eric Shuman, on Thu, 06 Apr 2000]
:: The weird part here is that the python method had just created the
:: directory in question and the UID on that file is "nobody".  So even though
:: the process is the owner of the file it still does not have permission to
:: change the GID.   Is there a way to specify what group Zope/Python is
:: running under.  What kinds of problems would be associated with changing
:: the group to something other that root?

Can I ask why you want to do this with an external method? You should
be able to pave the way for anything you want right from the shell.
Since you're running RH 6.x (and if you haven't already), I'd recommend
you read Section 2.3 of the RH Reference Guide which came with your
distribution.

RedHat uses User-Private Groups, which is unusual among Unices, but
very granular, once you understand the rationale and how to add users
to other groups, in particular the selective application of chmod 2775
in the right spots.

::  >Eric Shuman wrote:
::
::  > Using an external python method I am trying to change the group ownership
::  > of a directory on a Red Hat 6 server.