[Zope] What's the difference between <dtml-var and <!--#var

Jim Sanford jsanford@atinucleus.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:06:26 -0500

<!--#var is Zope 1.x and will work in Zope 2.x

<dtml-var is Zope 2.x and will not work in Zope1.x

another difference is that <dtml-var is 1 character longer than <!--#var

----- Original Message -----
From: <Brian.Burton@nlynx.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 4:20 PM
Subject: [Zope] What's the difference between <dtml-var and <!--#var

Reading the documentation for Zope had me believing that <dtml-var and <!--#var
was different.  Now reading the postings with the subject Is it Just Me, I don't
know if they are different.  Will someone please enlighten me to the difference
and where you would use one over the other (if they are different).  In the
documentation (at the beginning of the DTML reference, it states:

The DTML Tag is supported by three syntaxes.1 This includes the DTML document
templates, server-side includes and Python string formats. When using document
templates from Python, the syntax used depends on the document template class
used (or subclasses). The server-side-include new DTML syntax described here is
used by the classes DocumentTemplate.HTML and DocumentTemplate.HTMLFile.

The syntax formats are shown below:

<dtml-name>

%(name)x

I assumed that the last is the server side include format (although you could
not tell by the syntax of the preceding documentation!)
Perhaps this document could be fixed a bit for us newbies?