[Zope] Structured/location-directed publishing: Zope vs Zope-PTK

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:59:15 -0500

Dennis Nichols <nichols@tradingconnections.com> wrote:

> BACKGROUND: For the last 2 weeks I've been learning Zope so I can implement
> my current project using it. Just today, I looked at PTK for the first time
> since the day I discovered Zope. It seems to me that what I need falls
> halfway between just Zope and Zope-PTK.
>
> REQUESTING: Advice, or advice on how to get advice :-)
>
> A brief description of the project:
>
> Substantial content, structured in a conventional hierarchy but with often
> changing content:
> - 15 top level picks
> - 1-8 sublevel picks per top level
> - 1 to 100 pages per sublevel (sometimes with own substructure)
> - Navigation tree on left similar to Zope Manage interface
> - About 5-10 "special" content creators who can, in addition, create
>   structure
> - Total of about 20 "regular" content creators
> - Need review of content before publishing
>
> Even more substantial unstructured content from other Members numbering
> x00,000 who can:
> - create content (may need review) in their own space
> - comment on content supplied by above content creators (may need review)
> - access web-based email
> - participate in forums (may need review)
>
> The "special" content creators, "regular" content creators, and other
> members should all use the same authentication/authorization system.
>
> None of the above seems particularly daunting to me -- given adequate time,
> I could construct it by coding and using various existing products on a
> Zope base or a PHP base.  But the Zope base seems like the substantially
> better choice for this project. However, I don't know whether to turn down
> the PTK path or stick just with Zope (either way, I'm sure I'll use
> LoginManager).
>
> Zope-PTK wins at providing:
> - non-framed management interface w/ wizards
> - reviewing mechanism
>
> But fails entirely at:
> - supporting structured content
>
> Left to my own devices, I'd start working on structured content within the
> PTK. However, the background noted in
> http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-April/000562.html makes it
> unclear as to how to proceed. I also note that Nitin Borwankar in
> http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-April/000569.html is working
> on a similar (I think) task.
>
> All advice gleefully welcomed!!!

You can define your own classes which derive from PortalContent, and be home
free from there.  Run, don't walk, to the zope-ptk list archives to check it
out.  The PTK is headed *exactly* where you want to be.

Tres.
Tres Seaver  tseaver@digicool.com   tseaver@palladion.com