[Zope] Sending results of query to Excel

Dr. Ross Lazarus rossl@med.usyd.edu.au
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:23:37 +1000

> From: Richard Moon  <richard.moon@n...>
> Date: Tue Apr 11, 2000 9:37am
> Subject: [Zope] Sending results of query to Excel
>

> I'm writing a data-mining application and I'd like to use Zope as a front end. Using Zope the user can query tables and see the data presented on-screen. Is there any way to pass that output to an Excel spreadsheet ?
>
> I feel I should be able to write an external method to do it so I'd be interested to know if anyone else has already solved the problem.

I wrote a module for Piers Lauder's Survey product. It sends the output
from a survey as a tab delimited file attachment which excel happily
opens up since it has a fake .xls extensions. Not sure why it works but
it does...
It illustrates how to send an email attachment.
I'll put it in my member area - have a look at
http://www.zope.org/Members/rossl/emailattach
Comments welcome - you'll need to modify the code heavily to make it
work since it's part of a class which is part of a product.....

--

Dr Ross Lazarus
Associate Professor and Sub-Dean for Information Technology