[Zope] ftp: get -R

Stephen Harrison stephen@nipltd.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:15:22 +0100

> > Why wouldn't Zope support it?  FTP recursion is, as far as I know,
> > purely a function of the FTP client.
>
> I've tried with ncftp: it has something to do with folders, it only
> downloads the files in the specified one and the subfolders are empty.

From what you describe, and from having a quick play around with
ncftp, it does seem like there is a limit to the depth to which
recursion is working, in that the recursion only works to two levels
deep.

So if I do get -R * I get everything at this level, everything at the
level below, but no deeper.

If I now move down into a sub-directory I and repeat the operation, I
now get files one level deeper (ie. two levels below where I start).

I suspect, however, that this is a problem with ncftp rather than
with ZServer.  I don't know how ncftp works, but from what I
understand, it is doing a whole host of ftp requests, the results of
which it will parse and generate another set of requests for the
recursion.  For whatever reason, ncftp seems to stop once it has
gone two levels deep.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Stephen