[Zope] n-tier architecture

Tony Rossignol tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:02:20 -0700

Greg Lappen wrote:

> Hi all, I am evaluating Zope as an alternative to J2EE (Enterprise Java
> Beans, Java Server Pages, Servlets, etc.)  In a J2EE application, the
> JSP and servlet are the presentation layer, the EJB's are the business
> logic layer, and the database is the data layer.  How does this map to
> Zope?

The database remains the data layer.  Business logic can be designed
into Products and ZClasses.  And the presentation layer is DTML.  From a
presentation layer centric environment this means your Designers -
presentation layer workers - can produce much more efficiently than in
JSP or Servlets the syntax much easier to use.  Your Developers -
business logic workers - can control access, deligate responsibility and
code to one common interface.  And you database people can continue to
develope in the same space as before.

> It looks like you put your business logic in DTML methods, but this
> seems like the business logic would get scattered throughout the
> presentation layer.

If you try to put business logic in DTML it will get scattered all over
the place.  Look to ZClasses for simple business objects and a full
blown Zope Product for complex objects.  The product will mean work in
Python, but from my experience it's a faily easy language to use.

Good luck in your evaluation and keep us posted.

--
tonyr@ep.newtimes.com