[Zope] info: zope complete hanging

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:44:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Marcus Collins wrote:
> 1. Does Zope hang when you access the management interface using
> http://path/to/zope/manage_main or ftp?

non, ftp is deactivated.

only http

> 2. Does Zope hang if you run in single threaded mode (z2.py -t 1)?

untested, difficult to test (production)

> 3. Are you using the default NUMBER_OF_THREADS (4)?

yes, I've not modified that.

however it seems more threads (6) are running (addresses are hidden), each
is
reported by top as using 10 MB (shared of course) (my Data.fs is 2.5 MB)

-----------
$ ps eax | grep python

15234 ?  S 0:37 /usr/local/bin/python /home/zope/z2.py -a xx.xx.xx.xx -d
yy.yy.yy.yy

15258 ?  S 0:00 /usr/local/bin/python /home/zope/z2.py -a xx.xx.xx.xx -d
yy.yy.yy.yy

15259 ?  S 0:05 /usr/local/bin/python /home/zope/z2.py -a xx.xx.xx.xx -d
yy.yy.yy.yy

15260 ?  S 0:49 /usr/local/bin/python /home/zope/z2.py -a xx.xx.xx.xx -d
yy.yy.yy.yy

15261 ?  S 0:52 /usr/local/bin/python /home/zope/z2.py -a xx.xx.xx.xx -d
yy.yy.yy.yy

15262 ?  S 0:02 /usr/local/bin/python /home/zope/z2.py -a xx.xx.xx.xx -d
yy.yy.yy.yy
------------

I run Zope on an aliased Ethernet adapter and we really don't use products
we haven't written for now: a bunch is installed, but none is used AFAIK.
we don't use Zope's Catalog in our products for now.

> 4. Are you using any database adaptors and, if so, which versions?

ZPygreSQLDA-0.3.rjr2 is installed but not used.

> 5. Is the hanging more or less frequent in Zope 2.1.6 than in 2.1.4?

no.  in fact we have noticed this problem three or four days ago, just
after having upgraded to MSIE5.01 on a workstation. In doubt I have
installed 2.1.6 (I was running 2.1.4 since it was out without any problem
so far)  but the problem seem to persist.

> 6. What method of access (HTTP/PCGI/FCGI) do you use for the management
> interface? Is this the same protocol you use for the rest of the site?

only http

zope is launched as standalone, ftp and monitor are disabled.

apache is also running on the same machine, but there's no link from one
to another.

> 7. Are you using a binary distribution of Zope, or have you compiled from
> source? Ditto for python.

both were compiled from source.

> 8. Can you cause Zope to hang by refreshing the page a number of times in
> quick succession, or by stopping the request and then reloading?

not tested.  however I've just seen Zope hang just when I've launched IE5
and tried to access /manage : IE5 wasn't launched, we launched it then we
entered the superuser name and password, then IE5 began to display the
management interface then Zope was hung. Unfortunately I don't know if IE5
displayed parts of the management interface from its cache (from last
session) or really from Zope.

we are concurrently accessing Zope from 2 or 3 workstations as superuser
(logged in 3 times from 3 different machines)  and the problem really seem
to occur from the workstation with IE5. either Lynx or Netscape under
Linux produce no problem.

> You mentioned that the hanging occurs when an error occurs. Are you
> referring to a Zope error, or an error which is logged or displayed on the
> console? A traceback or listing of the error might prove useful.

Zope errors: as beginners with Zope we often make mistakes e.g. we put
spaces in ids so this caused errors (but I don't know if this were related
to the zope hang).

There's no error in Z2.log, but I've not launched Zope in debug mode.

> Some of these might just be shots in the dark, but the more information we
> can gather, the better! Some also might not be practical for you to try out
> (like running Zope single-threaded, if this is a production server).

I'll try to test some more things, probably tomorrow evening.

bye,
Jerome