[Zope] Zope Eating Memory for Breakfast

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:08:33 +0200

--------------04EFB2468DB2436A0D92AF57

It all makes sense now.

Sometimes you have to check those things that you can't possibly
conceive of being true. Like content managers adding 4 100+ Meg
Quicktime movies to the site. This makes the memory consumption on an
export of the directory and my 589M database size make sense. I knew she
had added some pictures, but MY GOD! The database sits at 9M now. If
Zope shoots up in memory consumption again now, I'll really panic. But
for now, all seems peachy on my end. Thanks alot to everyone who looked
into it.

Thanks,
Monty

Monty Taylor wrote:

> I can now consistently make this happen. It takes about 10 seconds. I
> don't know that this is the only way, but this one certainly works.
>
> I have an instance of the DemoPortal product hanging off the root of the
> Zope tree called Portal. It has maybe thirty extra images and a few
> extra pages added. If I try to export it, it seems to hang from the
> browser side, and Zope tries to take over the box. I know it's not just
> fluff in reporting, because the original way I discovered the problem
> was when the analysts upstairs all started reporting that they could
> access any of our internal web-pages, not even in Zope yet, I might add,
> and you see the resultant top output below.
>
> I have no idea why this action would cause this. Someone suggested
> sending in output from manage_debug. Which I tried to do, except that
> once I've shot the load on the box to hell, I can seem to load that
> page, and once I do, I can't save it with any useful information,
> because netscape reloads a page to save it's source. Any suggestions on
> other ways I could report data to you?
>
> Thanks alot.
> Monty
>
> Monty Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Would anyone happen to have any idea why something like this would
> > happen?
> > This is on Solaris 2.7 with Zope 2.1.4. I can provide any other info you
> > like, but I'm not sure what would be useful to know.
> >
> > -------------------------------------
> > load averages:  3.21,  3.08,
> > 2.72
> > 13:02:57
> > 117 processes: 111 sleeping, 2 zombie, 4 on cpu
> > CPU states:     % idle,     % user,     % kernel,     % iowait,     %
> > swap
> > Memory: 4096M real, 66M free, 4080M swap in use, 3255M swap free
> >
> >   PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
> >  5866 zope       8  10    0 2262M 2034M cpu2  149:09 24.70% python
> >  1983 goldtest   4   0    0   37M   32M cpu3   24:54 24.62% tag_event
> >  2370 goldmine   4   0    1  123M  116M cpu1    9:40 23.52% perl
> >  2894 root       1   0    0 1584K 1184K cpu0    0:00  0.44% top
> >  2372 oracle81   1  58    0  115M   85M sleep   1:20  0.34% oracle
> > --------------------------------------
> >
> > This happens regularly, as in, every few days I have to restart Zope.
> > When I do python drops out of top altogther.
--------------04EFB2468DB2436A0D92AF57

begin:vcard
n:Taylor;Monty
tel;cell:+31 (0)6 200 17486
tel;fax:+31 (0)20 589 5566
tel;work:+31 (0)20 589 5517
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.goldridge.net
org:Information Innovation
adr:;;Amstelveenseweg 88-90;Amsterdam;;1075 XJ;The Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:mtaylor@goldridge.net
title:Information Artist
x-mozilla-cpt:;0