[Zope] Python Methods Caveats?

Kapil Thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:09:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I was wondering why Python Methods seem to make
ZClasses very unstable. I've got a set of movies
Zclasses that i'm adding in via xml-rpc (to an
external method). The Classes and pages work fine
until anyone of them calls a python method within the
class that simply returns a fixed string date
representation. At this point all the Movie ZClasses
(instantations of one class) become broken through the
zodb, and i get dumped a bunch of ZODB errors at the
console about not being able to load state. i can
still add in new movies. when i was writing this
application things worked fine but now that i've
shutdown and restarted zope i've been getting these
errors. i vaguely remember chris petrelli (of dc)
saying something about python methods being bad for
zclasses at IPC8 (python conference). I realize that
the solution to my problem is basically moving the
python method outside the zclass (i hope) but i was
wondering if anyone could shed any light on the why of
the problem.

Thanks

Kapil Thangavelu