[Zope] Zope & international characters

Dimitris Andrakakis dandraka_info@yahoo.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 02:28:34 +0300

Rik wrote:
> Ah, yes I now vaguely remember about the locale being introduced. Sorry if
> my post was misleading.
> The unicode part is still true though, and I wonder about the Greek
> characters... This could perhaps be solved by a locale I guess, after all
> it's just another encoding set. Mixing with English would be a bad idea,
> though. I do not dare to say much more though ;-(

Rik, mindlace, thanks for your concern :-) This is what I found out:
First of all, ./start -? on my zope installation gave me this:
------------
 -L

   Enable locale (internationalization) support. The value passed for
   this option should be the name of the locale to be used (see your
   operating system documentation for locale information specific to
   your system). If an empty string is passed for this option (-L ''),
   Zope will set the locale to the user's default setting (typically
   specified in the $LANG environment variable). If your Python
   installation does not support the locale module, the requested
   locale is not supported by your system or an empty string was
   passed but no default locale can be found, an error will be raised
   and Zope will not start.
------------
So, if you start zope with  ./start -L 'locale' the only thing to consider
is if your Python installation supports this locale. Asking a local
linux newsgroup, a python expert told me that RedHat guys (we're
running Zope on RH 6.1, on an intel-based machine) provide with
the distro a python rpm that DOES NOT support the locale module.
So he gave me detailed instructions on how to re-install Python in the
appropriate way (so that it supports the locale module).
If anybody cares, I'll post them tommorow -they're in Greek, and I'm too
tired of translating 02:19 local time :-)))

Dimitris Andrakakis
http://atlas.central.ntua.gr:8000/~mc94068