[Zope] Zope fine tuning HOW-TO / Zope Performance

Tony Rossignol tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:14:12 -0700

Ragnar Beer wrote:

> What about using the cache with ProxyPass and still serving static
> stuff from Zope? The problem I have with ProxyPass is mod_proxy's
> documentation which is terribly little. I couldn't find out whether
> it's possible to use caching with ProxyPass. I didn't get any speedup
> with cache enabled and expires set to 1h later. Anyone tried
> something similar?

I have used the ProxyPass stuff and yes it is short on documentation,
but this should help http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html.  It
did give us some better performance.  In fact I originally tried it w/
the /manage pages for the images, but did not see much imporvement.  It
worked fine for general caching of images etc.  My problem w/ ProxyPass
caching is it messes w/ Apache cookie tracking that we are implementing,
so I had to either patch ProxyPass or roll my own caching.  I opted to
roll my own caching so that we could control cache at a much finer
grain.  Now we can explicitly clear cache, explicitly force a page into
cache and have specific sections of the site automatically fall under
cache control.

Some factors for ProxyPass are the parameters that indicate size of the
cache and the location, make sure those are set within reason.  I also
seem to remember something w/ Last-Modified header having to be in place
in conjunction w/ CacheLastModifiedFactor to make the object cachable by
default.  CacheForceCompletion also comes into play when caching images,
the default of 90% will allow broken images to be placed in cache.

> What about Squid in between (in http accelerator mode)?

Never really have had a chance to investigate this option.  From what I
gather it might work.  We have log file issues, and pages served reports
that might make this option not work for us.

--
tonyr@ep.newtimes.com