[Zope] slow site

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:27:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, J. Atwood wrote:

> A couple of things could be happening.
>
> - Lots of tables with images in them. The browser has to wait for the entire
> page with all the images before it can display the page. Break up the tables
> and it will load faster.

I think you may be on to something. Loading a subpage without a lot of
tables proceeds without any delay. That would suggest that the delay isn't a
DNS problem.

> - Need more RAM. I was running Zope 1.6.1 on RH with 16MB of RAM and it ran,
> but really slow. Same sort of thing, would be slow to start up and serve the
> files. 32 is really not enough. That combined with your tables is going to
> slow the site down. On my same box (166 Pent) I added 128MB and now it
> screams. Ram is the key.

I'll look around and see if I can scam a few more SIMMs somewhere.
We're obviously doing this site on the cheap given our choice of server
hardware. Thanks for the suggestions.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/