[Zope] Requested Zope feature

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:23:03 +0200

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 12:52:35PM -0400, jpenny@universal-fasteners.com wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 04:48:07PM +0100, Seb Bacon wrote:
> > yup, this is how i work too.
> >
> > how about adding some javascript to the manage_* methods that reload the
> > related window (if it's open) whenever the source changes, too?  a problem
> > with this might be ending up with a mass of windows all over your desktop,
> > which is invariably horrible.
> >
> > otoh, there's (almost) no js in the management interface at the moment, and
> > i generally think this is a good thing.  i hate js.  i presume this was a
> > design decision from the start?  however, if this was to guarantee browser
> > interoperability, why are there lots of frames everywhere?  and there is
> > some js beginning to creep in now (e.g. help screens).
> >
> > however, this functionality would not replace any existing interface bits so
> > perhaps it's not a bad thing.  and although i hate js it can be a very
> > useful piece of evil.  a dynamic tree on the left instead of a yuk frame
> > that hardly ever reloads would be a nice thing too.
> >
> > just thinking aloud.
> >
> > seb.
>
> Please don't js this thing to pieces.  At least not until there are good
> alternative editors/managers available.  I run permanently with js disabled,
> and when mozilla is stable enough, will run with js permanently removed.
> Requiring js to use zope would be enough to convince me to look elsewhere!

I am currently implementing Skinnable objects for Zope that'll allow you to
easily define an alternative version of the management interface, and switch
between these interfaces very easily. You could build your own version that
doesn't use JavaScript at all.

IIRC, you can tell Mozilla to switch on JavaScript for certain sites though.
Believe me, it'll be worth your while allowing JS in the Zope management
screens by the time I am done.

--
Martijn Pieters